Novice Stock Rules
Grayson County Speedway
GENERAL – All components are subject to inspection and approval of inspecting officials. No equipment will be considered as having been approved by reason of having passed through inspection unobserved. The management reserves the right to make any necessary changes to enhance the racing program or safety.
SPIRIT – This is a budget class and is for fun. If you are here to win big bucks, spend big bucks, or take things to seriously, you should find another class. The track reserves the right to keep this class following this spirit of fun by any means necessary.
TERMS – The terms “stock and O.E.M.” mean that the item/part must have been a standard item/part on the MAKE and MODEL of the vehicle being driven as a racecar. Just because the company that manufactured the vehicle manufactures a part does NOT mean the part is legal. The part must have been available on the specific vehicle being used as a racecar.
1. Anyone driving over three (3) times this season in any class other than hot stock or jr. mini cannot drive Novice Stock.
2. Anyone finishing in top five (5) in points within the last two (2) years of any class other than Novice Stock or Jr Mini cannot drive Novice Stock class.
3. Cannot drive Novice Stock Car and any other class on the same night except Jr Mini.
1. Car must be a stock street type passenger car or station wagon.
2. No commercial vehicles, convertibles or sports cars allowed.
3. Wheelbase must be stock for make and model.
4. NO Mustangs or GM cars with rear leaf springs.
5. 112″ or longer wheel base cars may run a stock 4-barrel carburetor.
6. 108″ wheelbase cars are allowed ONLY if running a STOCK 2 barrel carburetor.
7. No holley carburetors allowed.
1. ½ ton (eg d100, c10, f100) and 5/8 ton (eg d150, f150, 1500) truck allowance rules for novice stock.
2. No 3/4 ton or higher permitted.
3. Lowering of the truck is allowed Based on the following below.
4. Rear axle can be moved on top of leaf springs but has to remain in same spot. Leave the original spring perch on top of the axle and weld new spring perch directly underneath. Do not change location. Drop shackles can be used instead if available.
5. Minimum spring length on front springs is 9 inches.
6. Drop spindles are allowed where/when available.
7. Removal of rear tail gate is allowed can be replaced with sheet metal. Or run no tail gate. Truck bed can be covered if wanted but not necessary.
8. Fuel cell is to be located in the bed of the truck secured properly and not to extend higher than 5 inches over the sides of the truck bed.
9. All other rules from cars to be applied to trucks unless otherwise stated above is over ruling.
1. Cars must be strictly stock. No cutting on body.
2. No holes in hood. Hood must be kept in place at all times. Hoods can be hulled. Complete bumper-to-bumper steel uni-body must be retained.
3. Door panels, floorboards, dash, and rear fender wells must remain in car. Front fender wells may be removed. Doors must be welded or bolted closed. Door panels can be cut for installation of driver or passenger protection and safety bars.
4. Car number must be minimum four inches thick and 20 inches tall and clearly visible, on sides, top and back of car, and front, if possible. 1 and 2 digit numbers are required, no three digit numbers.
Engine compartment – Area may be hulled with no extra bracing allowed.
1. Must be securely mounted in trunk. Trunk floor may not be removed but must have a way of letting gas escape, such as drain holes. Fuel tank must have a screw-on cap. FUEL TANK and DRIVESHAFT must be PAINTED WHITE. Driver must be sealed off from motor and fuel tank by front and rear firewall. Racing style fuel cell required. If fuel cell does not have aircraft style positive seal filler neck/cap system – a flapper, spring or ball type filler rollover valve is required.
1. Automobile pump gasoline only.
1. Stock bumpers only.
2. Front and Rear bumpers may be reinforced internally. No loops above or below bumpers.
3. Bumpers must have chain on corners fastened to frame. Maximum one inch wide by two inch tall steel or lexan rub rails allowed – bolted flush to body. Attachment bolts or welds no more than 4 inches from front and rear of rails.
4. Front and rear tow hooks mandatory. No sharp edges allowed on bumpers, rub rails or bolts.
5. Bumpers must be complete, unaltered OEM, capped to fender with steel, welded or bolted.
6. No bars past outside edge of body other than rub rails.
GLASS / CHROME
1. All glass, chrome (except bumpers) and interior must be removed. Racing seat required.
1. No modifying of the suspension is allowed. NONE.
2. Suspension parts must remain absolutely stock for that make and model of car.
3. Stock caster spacers may be moved forward or back. One steel spring per wheel only in OEM location. All coil springs must be minimum 4.5 inches O.D. and non-progressive.
4. No weights of any kind may be added.
5. NO EXCEPTIONS – NO RACING SPRINGS OR SHOCKS
1. All components must be steel unaltered OEM, in OEM location and match frame. OEM steering column may be replaced with steel steering shafts (collapsible steering shaft required).
2. Steel knuckles only. No steering quickeners, or remote power steering reservoirs. Steering wheel and quick release (recommended) may be aluminum.
3. OEM replacement parts only. No aftermarket gear boxes for steering inhancements.
1. Minimum of one (1-1/2″ O.D.) roll bar back of front seat braced both forward and backward and sideways on both sides.
2. Minimum 3 bars in drivers door and 2 on passenger side are required.
3. No bars through front firewall except, one (1) foot bar ok on left side only.
4. Must attach to frame rail behind front a frame.
5. Steel door plates, 18 gauge or 0.049 inch minimum thickness, must be securely welded to outside of door bars on driver’s side. Plate must cover area from top door bar to rocker panel and from rear down post to five inches in front of seat.
6. Must be visible for inspection.
1. All cars must be equipped with an approved 3″ wide safety belt and a 2″ wide shoulder harness (racing type).
2. Must run properly installed window net.
1. Engines only for that parent company. Example (Chevy, Olds, Buick may be interchanged. Ford, Mercury may be interchanged.) And mounted in its original position.
2. Hydraulic camshaft and lifters only.
3. No double hump or Vortec heads allowed.
4. Motor must pull minimum of 15 in @1000rpm measured at the manifold.
5. Compression must not exceed 175lbs.
6. No 400 blocks or stroker motors.
1. Stock cast iron intake manifold.
2. NO HIGH RISE intakes.
3. Stock carburetor for that make.
4. No Holley on GM.
5. NO ADAPTER PLATE.
6. NO HEADERS.
7. Stock cast iron exhaust manifold.
8. All cars must run a muffler and conform to 98dbs.
9. Header pipe must be retained.
1. Only one (1) radiator and must be centered in front of engine in a vertical position without body modifications. Use of an aftermarket radiator is OK.
1. Must be securely mounted and covered by sheet rubber or mounted in a marine box to prevent acid spilling.
2. Battery must be in good working order, capable of starting car.
3. Must be shielded from driver.
1. Car must have automatic transmission only.
2. Must be unaltered OEM, with unaltered OEM pump, original bell housing and minimum 10 inch diameter torque converter containing a minimum of three quarts of fluid. Torque converter must have a minimum 0.125 inch plug.
3. Must have approved scatter shield constructed of minimum 0.125 inch by three inch steel, 270 degrees around flexplate. Flexplate must be full, unaltered OEM, or OEM replacement.
4. No manual bump starts allowed.
1. Steel drive shaft (minimum 2.5 inch diameter) and slip-yokes only. Drive shaft must be painted white. 360-degree driveshaft loop required and must be constructed of minimum 0.25 inch by two inch solid steel, or one inch tubing, mounted six inches back from front U-joint.
1. Stock passenger car rear end.
2. No positive track.
3. No limited slip.
4. May weld gears to lock rear end.
1. Stock or aftermarket steel wheels (No Bead locks) No wheel spacers.
2. One inch O.D. steel lug nuts required.
3. No bleeder valves. 7″ or 8″ wide, 3 or 4 inch offset only. Unaltered OEM 70 or 75 series passenger car tires only. No tires designed for racing.
4. DOT number and series must show on tire NO RECAPS, NO GROOVING, NO RACING TIRES.
5. No Hoosier DOT tires.
1. Driver must wear Snell 95 or newer approved helmet.
2. Safety and rules check optional by track officials at any time.
1. Top 4 are eligible to be claimed.
2. To claim a motor you must:
Have previously taken the checkered flag at 2 previous events that year.
Not have claimed a motor in the previous 2 events.
Start the feature with the car claimed and finish behind the car claimed and take the checkered flag.
Long Block Claim $350.00 Long block only
Carburetor Claim $80.00
Distributor Claim $60.00
Shock (1) $15.00
Spring (1) $15.00
4. Must sell or forfeit all money for night, points for season.
5. A second refusal will result in suspension from this class for the remainder of the season.
6. Track may cancel claim if they feel it is in the best interest of the class.
7. Track may claim any or all components.
Novice Stock Rules